News about Bungie's upcoming title Destiny is coming in thick and fast now that IGN have opened the floodgates. As well as concept art surfacing, and Bungie releasing the first ViDoc for the game (see below), a tranche of previews have been published by a number of big gaming sites.
The most headline-grabbing statements revolve around the prospective release list. It's been confirmed that Destiny is heading to both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. It's also headed to “future generation technology” according to VG24/7 (i.e. the much-rumoured new consoles that are in the pipeline from Sony and Microsoft. Whether Destiny is set to release on both or just one of them is still unclear).
What is clear, however, is that Destiny will not be coming to the PC because "We made the game (Halo) run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to," said Bungie’s Jason Jones. Owch. That quote is not going to go down well.
Some game-related details have also been revealed, but no gameplay has yet been shown. Here's a brief run-down of what we know (or at least what Bungie and co are promising):
- At its core it's a science fiction shooter, but it supposedly offers "unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre".
- It has MMO features and requires an always-on internet connection (the game world is a 'living world'), though it will not have a subscription fee and it is not an MMO.
- Destiny features persistent online hubs and sandbox elements.
- There are at least three classes - Titan, Hunter and Warlock.
- Character and gear customisation is a key priority.
- There will be no cross-platform play between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- The story covers various solar system locations, including Mars and the moon. It's a dark story but 'there is hope'.
- Takes place after humanity's mysterious downfall. You play as a 'defender of the city', the last safe haven for humankind, which is under siege by deadly alien foes.
So we all thought the Destiny beta pre-order codes would arrive in summer, but some retailers apparently already have them. It's unclear as of yet if retailers...
Joseph Staten, a key creator of both the Halo and Destiny universes, has returned to Microsoft. His new title will be senior creative director and his...
Bungie's upcoming open-world online multiplayer shooter Destiny will have a beta in early 2014 and it will be appearing on the PS3 and PS4 first, said...
While Call of Duty: Ghosts is taking a hit from critics, analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Company told GamesIndustry International that the franchise has...
If you're looking to secure access to early 2014's Destiny beta and have a penchant for Twitter and Facebook, keep your eyes glued on Destiny's Twitter...
19 hours ago
Watch Dogs, Ubisoft's much anticipated open-world title, will release on May 27th it was announced today. The game features Aiden Pierce, a young man who...
22 hours ago
Nintendo has revealed a special limited edition of the upcoming Mario Kart 8. The limited edition of the game, which is set to release on May 30, will...
3 days ago
It looks like a sequel to the critically-acclaimed stealth action/adventure game Dishonored could be in the works. An off-screen photo slide was posted...
8 days ago
After hearing the recent news that South Park: Stick of Truth will be censored it made me think that censorship is a pretty strange beast right now. Back...
1 day ago
Guacamelee!, the Metroidvania game with its own luchador twist has made its way onto various platforms since its initial release. The game is getting ported...
15 hours ago
Jack Tretton will step down from his position as Sony Computer Entertainment America's president and chief executive offer as of March 31st, 2014, the...