News about Bungie's upcoming title Destiny is coming in thick and fast now that IGN have opened the floodgates. As well as concept art surfacing, and Bungie releasing the first ViDoc for the game (see below), a tranche of previews have been published by a number of big gaming sites.
The most headline-grabbing statements revolve around the prospective release list. It's been confirmed that Destiny is heading to both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. It's also headed to “future generation technology” according to VG24/7 (i.e. the much-rumoured new consoles that are in the pipeline from Sony and Microsoft. Whether Destiny is set to release on both or just one of them is still unclear).
What is clear, however, is that Destiny will not be coming to the PC because "We made the game (Halo) run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to," said Bungie’s Jason Jones. Owch. That quote is not going to go down well.
Some game-related details have also been revealed, but no gameplay has yet been shown. Here's a brief run-down of what we know (or at least what Bungie and co are promising):
- At its core it's a science fiction shooter, but it supposedly offers "unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre".
- It has MMO features and requires an always-on internet connection (the game world is a 'living world'), though it will not have a subscription fee and it is not an MMO.
- Destiny features persistent online hubs and sandbox elements.
- There are at least three classes - Titan, Hunter and Warlock.
- Character and gear customisation is a key priority.
- There will be no cross-platform play between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- The story covers various solar system locations, including Mars and the moon. It's a dark story but 'there is hope'.
- Takes place after humanity's mysterious downfall. You play as a 'defender of the city', the last safe haven for humankind, which is under siege by deadly alien foes.
16 days ago
A petition is circulating the internet calling for Destiny to come to the Wii U. The petition stands at 1,400 signatures at the time of writing. The petition...
Destiny's reported costs come in at a whopping $500 million over the lifetime of the product. This figure includes "marketing, packaging, infrastructure...
Bungie have finally explained why Destiny won't be coming to PC, at least at launch. The last game that Bungie actually made for the PC was Oni, although...
In an interview with UOL Jogos, Christian Diefenbach, software engineer at Bungie, revealed that each planet in Destiny is roughly the same size as the...
So we all thought the Destiny beta pre-order codes would arrive in summer, but some retailers apparently already have them. It's unclear as of yet if retailers...
3 days ago
Alongside recent news that Microsoft will be laying off 18,000 staff came the news that included in that number is the team over at Xbox Entertainment...
13 hours ago
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris was shown off at this year's E3, the follow-up to the series' original isometric action adventure title Lara Croft...
13 hours ago
Respawn have announced that they'll be adding the ability to earn in-game currency to Titanfall in an upcoming update. The currency can be used to buy...
2 days ago
Last month we reported that Marty O'Donnell was suing Bungie for firing him "without cause". At the time of writing O'Donnell has still been given no reason...
3 days ago
Sony have announced via the US PlayStation Blog that the Ratchet & Clank Collection will be coming to the PlayStation Vita tomorrow, July 22nd. It will...
13 days ago
I've always loved Easter Eggs, especially ones that remain hidden for several years. Recently, one that has been dormant for 7 years in Halo 3 has been...