News about Bungie's upcoming title Destiny is coming in thick and fast now that IGN have opened the floodgates. As well as concept art surfacing, and Bungie releasing the first ViDoc for the game (see below), a tranche of previews have been published by a number of big gaming sites.
The most headline-grabbing statements revolve around the prospective release list. It's been confirmed that Destiny is heading to both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. It's also headed to “future generation technology” according to VG24/7 (i.e. the much-rumoured new consoles that are in the pipeline from Sony and Microsoft. Whether Destiny is set to release on both or just one of them is still unclear).
What is clear, however, is that Destiny will not be coming to the PC because "We made the game (Halo) run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to," said Bungie’s Jason Jones. Owch. That quote is not going to go down well.
Some game-related details have also been revealed, but no gameplay has yet been shown. Here's a brief run-down of what we know (or at least what Bungie and co are promising):
- At its core it's a science fiction shooter, but it supposedly offers "unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre".
- It has MMO features and requires an always-on internet connection (the game world is a 'living world'), though it will not have a subscription fee and it is not an MMO.
- Destiny features persistent online hubs and sandbox elements.
- There are at least three classes - Titan, Hunter and Warlock.
- Character and gear customisation is a key priority.
- There will be no cross-platform play between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- The story covers various solar system locations, including Mars and the moon. It's a dark story but 'there is hope'.
- Takes place after humanity's mysterious downfall. You play as a 'defender of the city', the last safe haven for humankind, which is under siege by deadly alien foes.
12 days ago
YouTuber Nowsie10 has figured out how to reach Terminus, a DLC area in Destiny that's only meant to be accessible in 2015. There's a force field protecting...
13 days ago
Destiny's end-game is all about raids. The problem is, if you play Destiny alone or with just a couple of friends then chances are you'll never be able...
Earlier this year it was announced that Sony had managed to get exclusive rights to Destiny in Japan. Now, news has emerged that Batman: Arkham Knight...
Customers who purchase Destiny for previous gen consoles - the PS3 or Xbox 360 - will be able to upgrade to the current gen version for free, Bungie have...
Bungie have announced that any progress made within the Destiny Beta will be wiped before the full retail release of the game this September. Players...
2 days ago
Upcoming racing sim Project Cars has officially been delayed, distributor Bandai Namco confirmed earlier today. The delay will push the game's release...
4 days ago
Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer, former developers at both Blizzard North (Diablo, Diablo II) and Runic Games (Torchlight, Torchlight II), have revealed...
6 days ago
An Xbox One bundle containing Assassin's Creed Unity and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag has been leaked by GameWare. The bundle comes with a 500GB black...
Gamers have found a new player vs player playlist and a new planet buried in Destiny's source code. The playlist is called Tales of Osiris and will take...
3 days ago
Nintendo surprised the gaming world a few months ago by announcing new revisions to its 3DS and 3DS XL (or LL as it is known in Japan) hardware. The biggest...