News about Bungie's upcoming title Destiny is coming in thick and fast now that IGN have opened the floodgates. As well as concept art surfacing, and Bungie releasing the first ViDoc for the game (see below), a tranche of previews have been published by a number of big gaming sites.
The most headline-grabbing statements revolve around the prospective release list. It's been confirmed that Destiny is heading to both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. It's also headed to “future generation technology” according to VG24/7 (i.e. the much-rumoured new consoles that are in the pipeline from Sony and Microsoft. Whether Destiny is set to release on both or just one of them is still unclear).
What is clear, however, is that Destiny will not be coming to the PC because "We made the game (Halo) run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to," said Bungie’s Jason Jones. Owch. That quote is not going to go down well.
Some game-related details have also been revealed, but no gameplay has yet been shown. Here's a brief run-down of what we know (or at least what Bungie and co are promising):
- At its core it's a science fiction shooter, but it supposedly offers "unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre".
- It has MMO features and requires an always-on internet connection (the game world is a 'living world'), though it will not have a subscription fee and it is not an MMO.
- Destiny features persistent online hubs and sandbox elements.
- There are at least three classes - Titan, Hunter and Warlock.
- Character and gear customisation is a key priority.
- There will be no cross-platform play between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- The story covers various solar system locations, including Mars and the moon. It's a dark story but 'there is hope'.
- Takes place after humanity's mysterious downfall. You play as a 'defender of the city', the last safe haven for humankind, which is under siege by deadly alien foes.
3 days ago
It has been revealed that each planet in Destiny will only have one playable area to explore - at launch, at any rate. This was announced by Bungie during...
6 days ago
Bungie have announced that, as of yesterday, anyone can now access the Destiny Beta on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4, regardless of whether customers...
23 days ago
A petition is circulating the internet calling for Destiny to come to the Wii U. The petition stands at 1,400 signatures at the time of writing. The petition...
Destiny's reported costs come in at a whopping $500 million over the lifetime of the product. This figure includes "marketing, packaging, infrastructure...
Bungie have finally explained why Destiny won't be coming to PC, at least at launch. The last game that Bungie actually made for the PC was Oni, although...
2 days ago
Today EA announced their new subscription service, called EA Access. EA Access will appear exclusively on Xbox One, and will cost either $4.99 per month...
20 days ago
I've always loved Easter Eggs, especially ones that remain hidden for several years. Recently, one that has been dormant for 7 years in Halo 3 has been...
11 hours ago
With sales of dedicated handheld devices down considerably from last generation, many would agree that Nintendo needs to broaden its horizons with the...
9 days ago
Last year the developer behind State of Decay, Undead Labs, was asked if we would see State of Decay ported to the Xbox One. The answer at the time was...
22 hours ago
With the month of July coming to an end, it was only a matter of time until we learned about the new PSN Plus offerings coming in August. Today is that...
7 days ago
With only three weeks left before Hyrule Warriors releases in Japan, Koei Tecmo have given us an Ocarina of Time-themed news update. They have announced...