News about Bungie's upcoming title Destiny is coming in thick and fast now that IGN have opened the floodgates. As well as concept art surfacing, and Bungie releasing the first ViDoc for the game (see below), a tranche of previews have been published by a number of big gaming sites.
The most headline-grabbing statements revolve around the prospective release list. It's been confirmed that Destiny is heading to both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. It's also headed to “future generation technology” according to VG24/7 (i.e. the much-rumoured new consoles that are in the pipeline from Sony and Microsoft. Whether Destiny is set to release on both or just one of them is still unclear).
What is clear, however, is that Destiny will not be coming to the PC because "We made the game (Halo) run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to," said Bungie’s Jason Jones. Owch. That quote is not going to go down well.
Some game-related details have also been revealed, but no gameplay has yet been shown. Here's a brief run-down of what we know (or at least what Bungie and co are promising):
- At its core it's a science fiction shooter, but it supposedly offers "unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre".
- It has MMO features and requires an always-on internet connection (the game world is a 'living world'), though it will not have a subscription fee and it is not an MMO.
- Destiny features persistent online hubs and sandbox elements.
- There are at least three classes - Titan, Hunter and Warlock.
- Character and gear customisation is a key priority.
- There will be no cross-platform play between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- The story covers various solar system locations, including Mars and the moon. It's a dark story but 'there is hope'.
- Takes place after humanity's mysterious downfall. You play as a 'defender of the city', the last safe haven for humankind, which is under siege by deadly alien foes.
22 days ago
Bungie have announced that any progress made within the Destiny Beta will be wiped before the full retail release of the game this September. Players...
27 days ago
It looks like retailers have taken on far too many Destiny pre-orders for various special editions than they'll have supply for. Wal-Mart cancelled a tranche...
Since last November gamers have been clamoring for white versions of Sony and Microsoft’s new consoles. At E3, Sony revealed their Destiny bundle, which...
It has been revealed that each planet in Destiny will only have one playable area to explore - at launch, at any rate. This was announced by Bungie during...
Bungie have announced that, as of yesterday, anyone can now access the Destiny Beta on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4, regardless of whether customers...
3 days ago
At their PAX Panel today, Volition (the creators of the Saints Row and Red Faction franchises) announced a new standalone DLC for Saints Row IV, called...
4 days ago
GTA Online will soon have had so many updates that it won't be able to fit on a 12GB PS3, Rockstar have warned in a recent support post. The blog post...
20 hours ago
Atari today announced the return of two classic horror franchises - Alone in the Dark and Haunted House. First up is Alone in the Dark: Illumination....
3 days ago
Nintendo’s marketing for its Wii U console has been met with little positivity thus far. One of the biggest impediments to the system establishing its...
Flappy Bird caused a ruckus when it was released late last year. There was a stream of online hate towards the game and its creator, Dong Nguyen, which...
Pokemon X & Y released worldwide on Saturday to the joy of millions - 4 million of whom purchased the game within the first two days. However, some of...