News about Bungie's upcoming title Destiny is coming in thick and fast now that IGN have opened the floodgates. As well as concept art surfacing, and Bungie releasing the first ViDoc for the game (see below), a tranche of previews have been published by a number of big gaming sites.
The most headline-grabbing statements revolve around the prospective release list. It's been confirmed that Destiny is heading to both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. It's also headed to “future generation technology” according to VG24/7 (i.e. the much-rumoured new consoles that are in the pipeline from Sony and Microsoft. Whether Destiny is set to release on both or just one of them is still unclear).
What is clear, however, is that Destiny will not be coming to the PC because "We made the game (Halo) run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to," said Bungie’s Jason Jones. Owch. That quote is not going to go down well.
Some game-related details have also been revealed, but no gameplay has yet been shown. Here's a brief run-down of what we know (or at least what Bungie and co are promising):
- At its core it's a science fiction shooter, but it supposedly offers "unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre".
- It has MMO features and requires an always-on internet connection (the game world is a 'living world'), though it will not have a subscription fee and it is not an MMO.
- Destiny features persistent online hubs and sandbox elements.
- There are at least three classes - Titan, Hunter and Warlock.
- Character and gear customisation is a key priority.
- There will be no cross-platform play between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- The story covers various solar system locations, including Mars and the moon. It's a dark story but 'there is hope'.
- Takes place after humanity's mysterious downfall. You play as a 'defender of the city', the last safe haven for humankind, which is under siege by deadly alien foes.
21 days ago
Bungie's upcoming open-world online multiplayer shooter Destiny will have a beta in early 2014 and it will be appearing on the PS3 and PS4 first, said...
While Call of Duty: Ghosts is taking a hit from critics, analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Company told GamesIndustry International that the franchise has...
If you're looking to secure access to early 2014's Destiny beta and have a penchant for Twitter and Facebook, keep your eyes glued on Destiny's Twitter...
Hot on the heels of Xillia's Western release, Namco has trademarked a number of new Tales titles. A blog post and a Siliconera article have both revealed...
he Rune Factory series is one of those franchises that takes two things that taste great (farming sim and Action RPG) and puts them together to make something...
11 days ago
Blizzard's upcoming Multiplayer Online Battle Arena title, Heroes of the Storm, features characters drawn in a way that some would call over or hypersexualized....
18 hours ago
Capcom today announced that Ultra Street Fighter IV, the latest upgrade to 2008's Street Fighter IV, will be available as a digital upgrade for PlayStation...
12 days ago
Atlus today had an early Christmas present for Japanese Persona fans: they announced four separate Persona titles (yes, four!). The first, and biggest...
1 day ago
Studio Liverpool, most well-known for working on Sony's WipEout franchise, shuttered its doors last year after Sony closed the studio. IGN are reporting...
Pokemon X & Y released worldwide on Saturday to the joy of millions - 4 million of whom purchased the game within the first two days. However, some of...
1 day ago
Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Episode 1 will release on Steam on December 17th. If you pre-purchase the entire season you'll receive 10% off...