News about Bungie's upcoming title Destiny is coming in thick and fast now that IGN have opened the floodgates. As well as concept art surfacing, and Bungie releasing the first ViDoc for the game (see below), a tranche of previews have been published by a number of big gaming sites.
The most headline-grabbing statements revolve around the prospective release list. It's been confirmed that Destiny is heading to both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. It's also headed to “future generation technology” according to VG24/7 (i.e. the much-rumoured new consoles that are in the pipeline from Sony and Microsoft. Whether Destiny is set to release on both or just one of them is still unclear).
What is clear, however, is that Destiny will not be coming to the PC because "We made the game (Halo) run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to," said Bungie’s Jason Jones. Owch. That quote is not going to go down well.
Some game-related details have also been revealed, but no gameplay has yet been shown. Here's a brief run-down of what we know (or at least what Bungie and co are promising):
- At its core it's a science fiction shooter, but it supposedly offers "unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre".
- It has MMO features and requires an always-on internet connection (the game world is a 'living world'), though it will not have a subscription fee and it is not an MMO.
- Destiny features persistent online hubs and sandbox elements.
- There are at least three classes - Titan, Hunter and Warlock.
- Character and gear customisation is a key priority.
- There will be no cross-platform play between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- The story covers various solar system locations, including Mars and the moon. It's a dark story but 'there is hope'.
- Takes place after humanity's mysterious downfall. You play as a 'defender of the city', the last safe haven for humankind, which is under siege by deadly alien foes.
10 days ago
In an interview with UOL Jogos, Christian Diefenbach, software engineer at Bungie, revealed that each planet in Destiny is roughly the same size as the...
So we all thought the Destiny beta pre-order codes would arrive in summer, but some retailers apparently already have them. It's unclear as of yet if retailers...
Joseph Staten, a key creator of both the Halo and Destiny universes, has returned to Microsoft. His new title will be senior creative director and his...
Bungie's upcoming open-world online multiplayer shooter Destiny will have a beta in early 2014 and it will be appearing on the PS3 and PS4 first, said...
While Call of Duty: Ghosts is taking a hit from critics, analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Company told GamesIndustry International that the franchise has...
7 hours ago
Firaxis Games' popular strategy game, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, is heading to Android devices "soon," according to a recent tweet from the series' official...
3 hours ago
Sony have announced the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection titles for May 2014 for North America. They are: Stick it to the Man (PS4) Pro...
8 days ago
In a recent post on UbiBlog, Animation Director Colin Graham has revealed that due to the power of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, Ubisoft can add a huge...
6 hours ago
Turtle Rock Studio's highly anticipated follow up to their Left 4 Dead series has received its first in-depth gameplay trailer. Evolve is a multiplayer...
1 day ago
It looks like Batman: Arkham Knight may have been pushed back to 2015. During WonderCon, at the DC All Access panel, a trailer was shown for Batman: Arkham...
23 hours ago
DICE, the developers of Battlefield 4, have upgraded the game's server infrastructure in an attempt to fix lag issues and poor server performance. A lot...