And we're go!
- Things kick off with a typical E3-style PlayStation trailer.
- Andrew House takes to the stage, delivers lots of PR speak (House loves buzzwords!). Plugging Vita, PSN and the PlayStation brand in general.
- And now PlayStation 4 gets its first mention! Phew! House says presentation will take up two hours.
- PS4 will 'allow developers to explore' more flexible business models. Lots of focus on being developer-friendly.
- Lead system architect introduced - Mark Cerny - he's been working on this process for about five years. His focus here seems to be on interactivity and inter-connectivity.
- Specs: Supercharged PC architecture, X86 CPU, Enhanced PC GPU, 8GB Unified Memory, Local HDD.
- DualShock 4 shown off. Looks similar to (but better than) those leaks we've been seeing. There is indeed a touchscreen.
- Epic's Unreal Engine 4 shown off in real-time. Havok physics engine also demonstrated.
- Cerny introduces a trailer for the title he's been working on. It's called Knack.
- Background real-time downloading, simple gameplay video uploads, real time spectating of others' games, new friends network. In general much more integrated and personalised experience.
- Next speaker is up - David Perry, CEO of Gaikai. Naturally this means Gaikai cloud tech will be on PS4.
- You'll be able to play games straight away when browsing the PlayStation Store - instant access and experience.
- Facebook and USTREAM integrated.
- The 'Share' button on the PS4 controller will allow you to livestream your gameplay. Gamers will be given casting abilities.
- Remote play built into the PS4 (i.e. BUY A PS VITA!)
- Lots of PSN services touted - Netflix, Hulu, MLB, Crackle, Amazon, PS+ (naturally), and more.
- Gaikai backwards compatibility (streaming) confirmed. PS4 itself will not be BC however.
- These cloud services will be rolled out gradually.
- Now there's a montage trailer. Developers praising the ideas behind the PS4.
- Next speaker - Michael Denny. He in turn introduces Geurrilla Games (Killzone).
- Killzone Shadow Fall trailer. Lots of gif material here; very pretty and detailed (also - yey, colours!). Lots of gameplay footage.
- Next game trailer. It's a racer from Evolution Studios (of MotorStorm fame) - Drive Club. 'The game we've always wanted to make'. Team-based racing. Painstakingly detailed recreation of car models. And now we see some gameplay.
- Now a political broadcast on behalf of the Sony Freedom Party.
- It's actually a guy (Nate Fox?) talking about Sucker Punch's latest exclusive - Second Son - which is for the PS4. Seems to be about people who have superhuman abilities who are fighting for their freedom from oppressive government, or something along those lines (very next-gen inFAMOUS-y).
- Indie gaming now. Jonathan Blow (of Braid fame) is introduced. He's working on a new game - it's actually The Witness - for the PS4 (the word exclusive was used, though from the words used it suggests just timed).
17 hours ago
Bloomberg are reporting that, thanks to a successful trial period in the Shanghai trading zone, video game consoles will now be allowed to go on sale nationwide,...
1 day ago
Dragon's Dogma Online was announced for Windows PC, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 the other day. Now it's received its first batch of screenshots and...
2 days ago
Square Enix are teasing a new PlayStation 4 title, codenamed Project CODE Z. There's very little to go on right now - just a website teaser (and accompanying...
9 days ago
Bethesda has announced that it will be dropping the subscription model for its MMO The Elder Scrolls Online. The game will become subscription-free from...
10 days ago
2K and Gearbox Software have just announced Borderlands: The Handsome Collection for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection...
3 days ago
Microsoft's Major Nelson has detailed the features and improvements included in the company's firmware update for the Xbox One controller: •Quick Connect...
2 days ago
A couple of days ago we covered news that Ubisoft had been removing some digital copies of Far Cry 4 from Uplay. It turns out these keys were obtained...
1 day ago
There are a handful of games that you see announced in Japan that you instantly write off as never likely to be localized, either because they're too niche...
18 hours ago
Roughly 300 staff are set to be cut at Sega as the company undergoes massive restructuring, it was revealed today. Almost half of the job losses will...
1 day ago
LEGO Jurassic World and LEGO Marvel's Avengers have both just been announced. Both titles will launch this year on PS3, PS4, PSV, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC,...
25 days ago
When it comes to video games with deep stories, huge open worlds, and complex battle systems, nothing comes close to the RPG. Few genres are more diverse...