And we're go!
- Things kick off with a typical E3-style PlayStation trailer.
- Andrew House takes to the stage, delivers lots of PR speak (House loves buzzwords!). Plugging Vita, PSN and the PlayStation brand in general.
- And now PlayStation 4 gets its first mention! Phew! House says presentation will take up two hours.
- PS4 will 'allow developers to explore' more flexible business models. Lots of focus on being developer-friendly.
- Lead system architect introduced - Mark Cerny - he's been working on this process for about five years. His focus here seems to be on interactivity and inter-connectivity.
- Specs: Supercharged PC architecture, X86 CPU, Enhanced PC GPU, 8GB Unified Memory, Local HDD.
- DualShock 4 shown off. Looks similar to (but better than) those leaks we've been seeing. There is indeed a touchscreen.
- Epic's Unreal Engine 4 shown off in real-time. Havok physics engine also demonstrated.
- Cerny introduces a trailer for the title he's been working on. It's called Knack.
- Background real-time downloading, simple gameplay video uploads, real time spectating of others' games, new friends network. In general much more integrated and personalised experience.
- Next speaker is up - David Perry, CEO of Gaikai. Naturally this means Gaikai cloud tech will be on PS4.
- You'll be able to play games straight away when browsing the PlayStation Store - instant access and experience.
- Facebook and USTREAM integrated.
- The 'Share' button on the PS4 controller will allow you to livestream your gameplay. Gamers will be given casting abilities.
- Remote play built into the PS4 (i.e. BUY A PS VITA!)
- Lots of PSN services touted - Netflix, Hulu, MLB, Crackle, Amazon, PS+ (naturally), and more.
- Gaikai backwards compatibility (streaming) confirmed. PS4 itself will not be BC however.
- These cloud services will be rolled out gradually.
- Now there's a montage trailer. Developers praising the ideas behind the PS4.
- Next speaker - Michael Denny. He in turn introduces Geurrilla Games (Killzone).
- Killzone Shadow Fall trailer. Lots of gif material here; very pretty and detailed (also - yey, colours!). Lots of gameplay footage.
- Next game trailer. It's a racer from Evolution Studios (of MotorStorm fame) - Drive Club. 'The game we've always wanted to make'. Team-based racing. Painstakingly detailed recreation of car models. And now we see some gameplay.
- Now a political broadcast on behalf of the Sony Freedom Party.
- It's actually a guy (Nate Fox?) talking about Sucker Punch's latest exclusive - Second Son - which is for the PS4. Seems to be about people who have superhuman abilities who are fighting for their freedom from oppressive government, or something along those lines (very next-gen inFAMOUS-y).
- Indie gaming now. Jonathan Blow (of Braid fame) is introduced. He's working on a new game - it's actually The Witness - for the PS4 (the word exclusive was used, though from the words used it suggests just timed).
8 days ago
Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer, former developers at both Blizzard North (Diablo, Diablo II) and Runic Games (Torchlight, Torchlight II), have revealed...
14 days ago
The PlayStation Vita version of Minecraft was pulled at the last minute due to testing issues, but the game is now set to release properly on the 15th...
21 days ago
TellTale's The Walking Dead has received pretty much universal acclaim since Episode 1 debuted back in 2012. But if you haven't picked it up yet, this...
24 days ago
Speaking with Eurogamer, Slightly Mad Studios' Andy Tudor has stated that the developer is aiming to hit 1080p and 60 FPS for Project Cars on both the...
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD has experienced a strange transformation in the period from its initial announcement to its impending release on Western shores....
2 days ago
Hearthstone, the hugely popular free-to-play strategy card game from Blizzard will be coming to Android tablets by the end of the year, Blizzard have announced....
1 day ago
In what's being billed as the most significant Titanfall update to-date, Titanfall 'Game Update Eight' will add a brand new cooperative game mode called...
8 hours ago
The PS4's next update - called Masamune - will include Sony's Share Play functionality when it arrives next week. The feature, which was first shown off...
1 day ago
The first of Mario Kart 8's two DLC packs is expected to land next month. We already knew that it would include the following: Three new characters...
2 days ago
Sid Meier's Civilization V will be free to play on Steam until the 23rd of October. The promotion is designed to drum up excitement for Firaxis' latest...