And we're go!
- Things kick off with a typical E3-style PlayStation trailer.
- Andrew House takes to the stage, delivers lots of PR speak (House loves buzzwords!). Plugging Vita, PSN and the PlayStation brand in general.
- And now PlayStation 4 gets its first mention! Phew! House says presentation will take up two hours.
- PS4 will 'allow developers to explore' more flexible business models. Lots of focus on being developer-friendly.
- Lead system architect introduced - Mark Cerny - he's been working on this process for about five years. His focus here seems to be on interactivity and inter-connectivity.
- Specs: Supercharged PC architecture, X86 CPU, Enhanced PC GPU, 8GB Unified Memory, Local HDD.
- DualShock 4 shown off. Looks similar to (but better than) those leaks we've been seeing. There is indeed a touchscreen.
- Epic's Unreal Engine 4 shown off in real-time. Havok physics engine also demonstrated.
- Cerny introduces a trailer for the title he's been working on. It's called Knack.
- Background real-time downloading, simple gameplay video uploads, real time spectating of others' games, new friends network. In general much more integrated and personalised experience.
- Next speaker is up - David Perry, CEO of Gaikai. Naturally this means Gaikai cloud tech will be on PS4.
- You'll be able to play games straight away when browsing the PlayStation Store - instant access and experience.
- Facebook and USTREAM integrated.
- The 'Share' button on the PS4 controller will allow you to livestream your gameplay. Gamers will be given casting abilities.
- Remote play built into the PS4 (i.e. BUY A PS VITA!)
- Lots of PSN services touted - Netflix, Hulu, MLB, Crackle, Amazon, PS+ (naturally), and more.
- Gaikai backwards compatibility (streaming) confirmed. PS4 itself will not be BC however.
- These cloud services will be rolled out gradually.
- Now there's a montage trailer. Developers praising the ideas behind the PS4.
- Next speaker - Michael Denny. He in turn introduces Geurrilla Games (Killzone).
- Killzone Shadow Fall trailer. Lots of gif material here; very pretty and detailed (also - yey, colours!). Lots of gameplay footage.
- Next game trailer. It's a racer from Evolution Studios (of MotorStorm fame) - Drive Club. 'The game we've always wanted to make'. Team-based racing. Painstakingly detailed recreation of car models. And now we see some gameplay.
- Now a political broadcast on behalf of the Sony Freedom Party.
- It's actually a guy (Nate Fox?) talking about Sucker Punch's latest exclusive - Second Son - which is for the PS4. Seems to be about people who have superhuman abilities who are fighting for their freedom from oppressive government, or something along those lines (very next-gen inFAMOUS-y).
- Indie gaming now. Jonathan Blow (of Braid fame) is introduced. He's working on a new game - it's actually The Witness - for the PS4 (the word exclusive was used, though from the words used it suggests just timed).
4 days ago
“Remastered” and “Definitive” Editions have made a name for themselves over the course of the last year, taking games released in the tale-end...
27 days ago
Project CODE Z, which was teased for the PlayStation 4 by Square Enix a few days ago (see news story here) has been revealed. The game is Spelunker Z,...
27 days ago
Metal Gear Rising 2 was teased during a PlayStation 4 sizzle reel trailer at the Taipei Game Show this weekend. The image below appeared in the trailer...
Bloomberg are reporting that, thanks to a successful trial period in the Shanghai trading zone, video game consoles will now be allowed to go on sale nationwide,...
Dragon's Dogma Online was announced for Windows PC, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 the other day. Now it's received its first batch of screenshots and...
6 hours ago
Halfbrick Studios, the creators of Fruit Ninja, have announced a sequel to the hit game for the Xbox One, titled Fruit Ninja Kinect 2. The sequel will...
5 hours ago
Dontnod Studios, the developer of Life is Strange, has promised the second episode of the episodic game series for this March. The confirmation came...
1 day ago
Guild Wars 2, the third person MMORPG from NCSoft, will be getting a first-person camera view. The press release from NCSoft states that "There aren't...
6 hours ago
The next expansion for Hearthstone: Heroes of WarCraft may be themed around World of Warcraft's Molten Core Raid, new information from Metabomb has shown....
10 days ago
Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden has apparently been announced in the latest edition of V Jump magazine in Japan. It is a 2D fighter and will be released...
When it comes to video games with deep stories, huge open worlds, and complex battle systems, nothing comes close to the RPG. Few genres are more diverse...