And we're go!
- Things kick off with a typical E3-style PlayStation trailer.
- Andrew House takes to the stage, delivers lots of PR speak (House loves buzzwords!). Plugging Vita, PSN and the PlayStation brand in general.
- And now PlayStation 4 gets its first mention! Phew! House says presentation will take up two hours.
- PS4 will 'allow developers to explore' more flexible business models. Lots of focus on being developer-friendly.
- Lead system architect introduced - Mark Cerny - he's been working on this process for about five years. His focus here seems to be on interactivity and inter-connectivity.
- Specs: Supercharged PC architecture, X86 CPU, Enhanced PC GPU, 8GB Unified Memory, Local HDD.
- DualShock 4 shown off. Looks similar to (but better than) those leaks we've been seeing. There is indeed a touchscreen.
- Epic's Unreal Engine 4 shown off in real-time. Havok physics engine also demonstrated.
- Cerny introduces a trailer for the title he's been working on. It's called Knack.
- Background real-time downloading, simple gameplay video uploads, real time spectating of others' games, new friends network. In general much more integrated and personalised experience.
- Next speaker is up - David Perry, CEO of Gaikai. Naturally this means Gaikai cloud tech will be on PS4.
- You'll be able to play games straight away when browsing the PlayStation Store - instant access and experience.
- Facebook and USTREAM integrated.
- The 'Share' button on the PS4 controller will allow you to livestream your gameplay. Gamers will be given casting abilities.
- Remote play built into the PS4 (i.e. BUY A PS VITA!)
- Lots of PSN services touted - Netflix, Hulu, MLB, Crackle, Amazon, PS+ (naturally), and more.
- Gaikai backwards compatibility (streaming) confirmed. PS4 itself will not be BC however.
- These cloud services will be rolled out gradually.
- Now there's a montage trailer. Developers praising the ideas behind the PS4.
- Next speaker - Michael Denny. He in turn introduces Geurrilla Games (Killzone).
- Killzone Shadow Fall trailer. Lots of gif material here; very pretty and detailed (also - yey, colours!). Lots of gameplay footage.
- Next game trailer. It's a racer from Evolution Studios (of MotorStorm fame) - Drive Club. 'The game we've always wanted to make'. Team-based racing. Painstakingly detailed recreation of car models. And now we see some gameplay.
- Now a political broadcast on behalf of the Sony Freedom Party.
- It's actually a guy (Nate Fox?) talking about Sucker Punch's latest exclusive - Second Son - which is for the PS4. Seems to be about people who have superhuman abilities who are fighting for their freedom from oppressive government, or something along those lines (very next-gen inFAMOUS-y).
- Indie gaming now. Jonathan Blow (of Braid fame) is introduced. He's working on a new game - it's actually The Witness - for the PS4 (the word exclusive was used, though from the words used it suggests just timed).
23 hours ago
Studio Liverpool, most well-known for working on Sony's WipEout franchise, shuttered its doors last year after Sony closed the studio. IGN are reporting...
4 days ago
Sony's Gaikai powered streaming service will be arriving in North America in Q3 2014 and Europe in 2015, according to "trusted sources" of Eurogamer. The...
13 days ago
Corrine Yu, the now former Principal Engine Architect at Microsoft's 343 Industries, has left the company to become a Graphics Programmer at Naughty Dog....
14 days ago
Sony are set to release a PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita 'Ultimate Bundle' this holiday season, according to a news story posted by MCV today. Sony...
18 days ago
The Spike VGX (better known by its former name as 'the VGAs') awards nominations have been announced. The big winners on the nominations front are Grand...
23 hours ago
Akihiko Yoshida, well known as a character designer for games such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre and Bravely Default has announced that he is...
1 day ago
When asked what franchises defined the original PlayStation, many will point to Final Fantasy, which jumped into 3D models with fan favorite Final Fantasy...
17 hours ago
According to Michael Pachter, having seen a gap in the market, Electronic Arts has decided to put Criterion hard at work on a military shooter. Apparently...
12 days ago
Atlus today had an early Christmas present for Japanese Persona fans: they announced four separate Persona titles (yes, four!). The first, and biggest...
14 hours ago
Capcom today announced that Ultra Street Fighter IV, the latest upgrade to 2008's Street Fighter IV, will be available as a digital upgrade for PlayStation...
21 days ago
Eidos Montreal's upcoming stealth title Thief will no longer include quick time events, according to a blog post from the developer. The QTEs were dropped...