And we're go!
- Things kick off with a typical E3-style PlayStation trailer.
- Andrew House takes to the stage, delivers lots of PR speak (House loves buzzwords!). Plugging Vita, PSN and the PlayStation brand in general.
- And now PlayStation 4 gets its first mention! Phew! House says presentation will take up two hours.
- PS4 will 'allow developers to explore' more flexible business models. Lots of focus on being developer-friendly.
- Lead system architect introduced - Mark Cerny - he's been working on this process for about five years. His focus here seems to be on interactivity and inter-connectivity.
- Specs: Supercharged PC architecture, X86 CPU, Enhanced PC GPU, 8GB Unified Memory, Local HDD.
- DualShock 4 shown off. Looks similar to (but better than) those leaks we've been seeing. There is indeed a touchscreen.
- Epic's Unreal Engine 4 shown off in real-time. Havok physics engine also demonstrated.
- Cerny introduces a trailer for the title he's been working on. It's called Knack.
- Background real-time downloading, simple gameplay video uploads, real time spectating of others' games, new friends network. In general much more integrated and personalised experience.
- Next speaker is up - David Perry, CEO of Gaikai. Naturally this means Gaikai cloud tech will be on PS4.
- You'll be able to play games straight away when browsing the PlayStation Store - instant access and experience.
- Facebook and USTREAM integrated.
- The 'Share' button on the PS4 controller will allow you to livestream your gameplay. Gamers will be given casting abilities.
- Remote play built into the PS4 (i.e. BUY A PS VITA!)
- Lots of PSN services touted - Netflix, Hulu, MLB, Crackle, Amazon, PS+ (naturally), and more.
- Gaikai backwards compatibility (streaming) confirmed. PS4 itself will not be BC however.
- These cloud services will be rolled out gradually.
- Now there's a montage trailer. Developers praising the ideas behind the PS4.
- Next speaker - Michael Denny. He in turn introduces Geurrilla Games (Killzone).
- Killzone Shadow Fall trailer. Lots of gif material here; very pretty and detailed (also - yey, colours!). Lots of gameplay footage.
- Next game trailer. It's a racer from Evolution Studios (of MotorStorm fame) - Drive Club. 'The game we've always wanted to make'. Team-based racing. Painstakingly detailed recreation of car models. And now we see some gameplay.
- Now a political broadcast on behalf of the Sony Freedom Party.
- It's actually a guy (Nate Fox?) talking about Sucker Punch's latest exclusive - Second Son - which is for the PS4. Seems to be about people who have superhuman abilities who are fighting for their freedom from oppressive government, or something along those lines (very next-gen inFAMOUS-y).
- Indie gaming now. Jonathan Blow (of Braid fame) is introduced. He's working on a new game - it's actually The Witness - for the PS4 (the word exclusive was used, though from the words used it suggests just timed).
5 days ago
Grand Theft Auto V will be released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this November 18th, Rockstar has announced, with the PC version being delayed until January...
9 days ago
Ubisoft have released a new video which demonstrates one of the core new game types you can play in Assassin's Creed Unity: Co-op Heists. Heist missions...
10 days ago
Earlier this year it was announced that Sony had managed to get exclusive rights to Destiny in Japan. Now, news has emerged that Batman: Arkham Knight...
21 days ago
At their PAX Panel today, Volition (the creators of the Saints Row and Red Faction franchises) announced a new standalone DLC for Saints Row IV, called...
25 days ago
Since May of this year, Nintendo has no longer been selling its Wii U hardware at a loss. This has led to speculation that the company will issue an official...
4 days ago
Security researcher Michael Jordon has managed to hack a Canon Pixma printer so that it can run the original DOOM. The hack took four months to complete...
1 hour ago
Halo: The Master Chief Collection brings together all four numbed games in the Halo series to the Xbox One this fall. Of these four games, Halo 2 will...
11 hours ago
Destiny's first raid - Vault of Glass - has been conquered in under two hours. The first team to beat it took around 11 hours, but Bungie claimed the quickest...
4 days ago
The rumour that Microsoft was going to purchase Mojang has today been confirmed. The cost of the company? $2.5 billion. Satya Nadella, Microsoft's CEO,...
9 hours ago
Mighty No. 9 is a passion project of Keiji Inafune, famed developer of the Mega Man series. This fan-supported project raised nearly $4 million dollars...
6 hours ago
Resident Evil (Or Biohazard as it is known in Japan) Revelations 2 is seriously scary. I played a short portion of the game on the Xbox One at the Tokyo...