There are many types of ore:
- Coal - The most common ore.
- Iron - The second most common ore.
- Gold - Normally found deep in cave systems.
- Redstone - Common deep underground.
- Lapis Lazuli - Drops lapiz lazuli, which is able to be made into blocks.
- Emerald - The rarest ore in minecraft.
- Diamond - Incredibly rare, and most likely to be found at Y 11.
- Nether Quartz - Common in the Nether.
Most of these ores need to be smelted, with coal, emeralds, diamonds, and nether quartz being the exception. To smelt ores, use a furnace.