There are five general game types: Tutorial, Custom, Co-Op vs. AI, Normal or Ranked. However, even within each type, there are many options available. It's up to your current skill level and preference.
- Normal: Standard gameplay;
- Ranked: Available for level 30 players (on Summoner's Rift) and level 20 players (on The Twisted Treeline). The first player from each team will ban 3 champions which cannot be used by any players in the current match. Also, players cannot pick identical champions and all picks are visible before the match starts;
- Tutorial: Two introductory games which teach the basics;
- Custom: Allows players to create custom teams formed of players and bots in combinations like 2v3, 3v3, 5v4, etc.
- Co-op vs. AI: Players fight against computer-controlled champions. This mode can be played for training by unexperienced players or by those who want to test new champions and tactics.