Almost the entire mission is a reference to the movie Top Gun.
- The Mission name, "Too Close for Missiles" is a reference to a point in the movie where that line was spoken because they couldn't get a lock on the enemy with their missiles at such close range. They switched to their machine gun instead (which Gyro copters happen to have).
- The description of the mission is the opening to the movie.
- The movie is about a school for the top 1% of jet pilots while the mission takes place at a camp for the top 1% of Gyro Pilots.
- The Volleyballs are a reference to a scene in the movie where the pilots are all playing volleyball together at the base.
- The name of the camp is Goose's Roost after the character Goose from the movie.
- The different things that the mission giver says during the mission such as "Booming the camp" and "You don't have time to think" are references to lines from the movie.
- The Shirtless Men at the end of the mission are fashioned to look like Val Kilmer, one of the stars from the movie and the protagonist's rival.